Online Course - Principles of Occupational Health and Challenges of Industrial Disasters
(Last Updated on 27 May 2021)
Registration for the new cohort opens until 30 September 2022. Upon registration, students are allowed to study the course until 31 October 2022 at their own pace.
Occupational health is an important topic for health practice. In order to protect health and well-beings, the need to understand the principles of occupational health and prepare for unforeseeable events is rapidly growing. This course will provide the participants with the overview of occupational hazards and health impacts, fundamental of hazards assessment and control. In addition, it will introduce the workplace emergency planning and responses to industrial disasters, as well as the related challenges to occupational health.
Upon completion of the course, students should be able to:
- Understand the scopes and principles of occupational health;
- Recognize common occupational hazards and relations between work and health;
- Acquire knowledge of measures of control of occupational health hazards; and
- Describe emergency planning and risk assessment of industrial disasters.
The target audience for the course is individuals studying and working in health, policy, education, industrial, and humanitarian sectors. Students may be civil servants, healthcare personnel, frontline disaster relief practitioners, and undergraduate or postgraduate students of closely-related disciplines. This online course will be available to anyone in the world.
As part of CCOUC’s knowledge transfer endeavour, this course is offered free of charge. There is limited quota for enrolment on a first-come-first-served basis.
Course Structure and Delivery Format
The course involves a total of 7 lessons, 3 short quizzes and one final assessment. Each lesson requires about 1.5 to 2 hours of study. All assessments are in the form of multiple-choice questions to be completed online with unlimited attempts. To progress through the course, students must obtain 80% or above in each short quiz. Students enrolled in the course may access all learning materials and go through all learning activities online within a maximum period of seven months. Topics covered in the course are as follows:
- Introduction to principles of occupational health and hygiene
- Occupational hazards and health impacts in the workplace 1 – Physical hazards
- Occupational hazards and health impacts in the workplace 2 – Chemical hazards
- Occupational hazards and health impacts in the workplace 3 – Biological hazards
- Occupational health risk assessment and case studies
- Workplace emergency planning, preparedness and responses to industrial disasters
- Challenges of occupational health induced by industrial disasters
Course Completion and Certification
Students who obtain 60% or above in the final assessment will be issued a printable certificate in recognition of completing the course.
To start studying the course now, please visit the course website at https://www.hkjcdpri.org.hk/d09-3-principles-occupational-health-and-challenges-industrial-disasters
For units interested in promoting and recommending this course, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.